East New York, Brooklyn- A fire that broke out early this morning—sparked by an unattended electric heater—left two women dead on the third floor a building, according to officials.
The blaze started at around 1:30 AM, in a deli that was on the ground floor of a four-story residential building located at 964 Belmont Ave.
FDNY officials stated that although there were smoke alarms on the third floor, they were not working.
Smoke alarms on the second-floor of the building sounded, allowing all residents on the floor to safely escape, according to officials.
“Carless leaving that unattended electric heater, and the lack of a working smoke alarm, cost two people their lives,” FDNY Fire Commissioner Daniel Nigro stated at a press conference.
According to FDNY Chief John Esposito, the fire went to three alarms—bringing about 133 firefighters to the scene—before finally being brought under control.
Two civilians and three firefighters suffered non-life threatening injuries.
Later in the morning, personnel from the FDNY Fire Safety Education Unit set up a table at a Key Food located two blocks away from where the fire occurred; members of the unit handed out informational pamphlets and answered resident’s questions.
— FDNY (@FDNY) February 28, 2018
TRAGEDY: Mom and daughter killed in Brooklyn Fire overnight, Per fire dept, fire caused by unattended electrical heater, also no working smoke detector in unit where victims lived. @ChasingNews pic.twitter.com/P1KfFLmwF3
— Nate Rodgers (@NateWants2Know) February 28, 2018